India (New Delhi, Simla, Shillong)

View of the Himalayas from the Indian Institute of Advanced Study in the Former Viceregal Lodge, Simla, India

I was hoping to blog my trip to India but, unfortunately, I had very limited internet access. The chief goals of my visit were to work on establishing a faculty exchange with the Centre for Historical Research at Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU) in New Delhi and to establish a Wooster in India Program (scheduled for summer 2012) at St. Anthony’s College in Shillong in Northeast India.  I also had the opportunity to give talks on my research on Russian film and Russia’s transition to capitalism at JNU’s Centre for Historical Research as well as at The Nehru Memorial Museum and Library (also in New Delhi) and at the Indian Council for Social Science Research at North-Eastern Hill University in Shillong. The talks proved very stimulating for my own thought on Russia because Indians have traditionally had a very close relationship with the Soviet Union (and now Russia) that historically has been very different from the US relationship. Moreover, India still has an extremely active Communist Party, which, as I found out, is still popular in some academic circles. Highlights of my trip included a visit to the British Viceroy’s summer lodge in Simla in the foothills of the Himalayas (the palace is currently the site of the Indian Institute of Advanced Study), a visit to Cherapunjee outside of Shillong (Cherapunjee is the rainiest spot on the planet), and a Rhino safari (elephant-back) in Kaziranga National Park in Assam Province. However, the real highlight was the warmth and hospitality of my hosts, Professors Bodh Prakash and Sucheta Mahajan of JNU in New Delhi and Professor Rakhal Purkayastha (COW Fulbright Scholar 2010) and Father Ioannis Warpakma of St. Anthony’s College in Shillong. Here are a few images — I may need several posts for this.

Statue of Nehru accompanied by man's best friend, located on the Green, Forested Campus of JNU

My Hosts in Delhi, Professor Bodh Prakash (Zakir Husain College, Delhi University) and Professor Sucheta Mahajan (JNU)

Welcome to St. Anthony's College, Shillong

With Father Warpakma, Principal (President), St. Anthony's College, Shillong

Computer Science Class, St. Anthony's College

View of Shillong

Police Bazaar (Central Market), Shillong

2 comments

1. Lovely pictures, Peter! And some great ideas here – I’m going to work on printing personalized banners to welcome back faculty in the fall.